Dental Care Procedures for Elderly People
When it comes to elderly people, dental care is one aspect that needs to be given proper consideration. As one grows older, his teeth start becoming weak and symptoms of different types of dental issues keep on arising. In the case of elderly people, it is very important to make sure that a dentist is being consulted whenever there are slightest problems. If you are looking for Edmonton denture care, then there are a wide range of different options available to you.
Why Dental Care is Important for Elderly People?
As you are aging, it is absolutely important for you to see a dentist at least twice a year. The reason being, as you grow older, you are more vulnerable to different types of gum disease and dry mouth syndrome. This risk gets increased if you are suffering from some of the chronic ailments.
A recent study has revealed people who are over the age group of 65 are suffering from at least one chronic disease which could be diabetes, cancer, arthritis or any other. Medications need to be taken in order to manage these conditions which increase the chances of gum diseases and cavities in older people. However, it is not only those who are suffering from these chronic diseases are at risk; healthy adults are also prone to cavities and gum diseases.
In Edmonton, there are many qualified and experienced dentists available. So, if you are looking for Edmonton dental solutions, you have plenty of different options to choose from.
Dental Care of Elderly People – Few facts
Experiencing dry mouth and gum recession is a very common phenomenon as you start growing older. Both of these conditions make you susceptible to the attack of gum diseases and developing cavities. The reason why it escalates to such a situation is that the bacteria present in the mouth cannot be washed away properly as there is less saliva present. There are a couple of basic steps that need to be followed when it comes to maintaining a healthy oral care and saving your teeth. Here are some of them:
- As you cross the age of 50, you need to make sure to visit a dentist at least two times every year.
- Make it a habit to chew gums which are sugar-free after your meals. This is particularly applicable if you are not in a position to brush after your meals. Make sure to consult your dentist before doing it.
- You need to make sure that if you have any implants, dentures, bridges or crowns; they are in proper condition. Get in touch with your dentist, if you have to face any issues with them.
- Visit your dentists and select an affordable treatment plan that would help you maintain a good dental health.
What are the Different types of Dental Services Available for Old People?
Here is a list of different types of services that are available for the elderly people
- Orthodontics: Braces for older people.
- Periodontics: Treatment and prevention of different types of gum diseases.
- Dental Implants: Tooth replacement.
- Endodontics: Root canal treatment.
- Oral surgery: It includes a lot of things extending from the removal of wisdom teeth to oral biopsies.
- Cosmetic Dentistry: This includes smile makeover procedures including whitening of teeth.
If you are looking for denture repair Edmonton, then there are many dental clinics available which are quite reputed. Besides, when it comes to denture clinic Kingsway, you have a wide range of different options to choose from.